18th World Conference on Tobacco or Health
The World Conference on Tobacco or Health is pleased to be hosting the Leadership Summit on Tobacco Control, a virtual event taking place in 2021.
Due to the uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the 18th World Conference on Tobacco or Health (WCTOH), due to take place in March 2021, has now been postponed. The date will be announced in due time.
Evidence is demonstrating the negative impact of tobacco use on outcomes for people with COVID-19, while the tobacco industry is actively exploiting the pandemic to improve its public image through offering donations and support to governments under the guise of ‘corporate social responsibility’ activities.
Therefore, it is vital that global conversations continue so that we can find solutions to the tobacco epidemic. The Leadership Summit on Tobacco Control will be a completely virtual, two-day event that will provide a critically needed platform for global, national, and sub-national leaders to share learning and best practices on the most important challenges and opportunities in tobacco control.
Tobacco control advocates from any background or sector will be encouraged to attend and participate in interactive sessions, and delegates will be able to ask questions, participate in moderated live chats and leave comments for the presenters.
The Leadership Summit on Tobacco Control will convene under the theme ‘Navigating Change’, and will address the changing political, economic and social landscape of tobacco control. Conversations will focus around the following key topics:
- Accelerating tobacco control and health financing as a public health priority
- Navigating tobacco control post COVID-19 pandemic
- Regulating traditional and new tobacco and nicotine products
- Preventing tobacco industry interference in health and sustainable development.
Four plenary themes have been confirmed that reflect the rapidly changing tobacco control environment:
- Plenary 1: Navigating Change – Leading with Impact
- Plenary 2: Making the tobacco endgame real: Challenges and opportunities in a changed environment
- Plenary 3: Evolving nicotine and tobacco products: challenges and way forward
- Plenary 4: Reforming National Tobacco Tax Policy: Perspectives from Health and Finance Leaders.
WCTOH is committed to ensure gender equity and regional representation among the invited leaders and speakers.
We hope that you can join us at the Leadership Summit on Tobacco Control at this pivotal juncture in the fight against tobacco. We expect registration to open in January, and we will be regularly updating this website with more information.
The summit will be hosted by the 18th World Conference on Tobacco or Health and led by the same key partner organisations and committees.